Kamloops woman acquitted of firearms, stolen property charges ahead of trial

KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops woman charged with eight offences after a police raid of her Sahali home has been acquitted of all charges.

At the commencement of the Supreme Court trial against Jason and Sarah Robertson, Crown prosecutor Evan Goulet told the court he didn’t anticipate calling any evidence against Sarah.

Supreme Court judge Jeanne Watchuk previously granted an application by Sarah Robertson to have evidence against her excluded due to a breach of her Charter rights.

Due to insufficient evidence by the Crown, Sarah was acquitted of all charges.

“I granted Ms. Robertson’s application and excluded the evidence against her,” Watchuk said. “The Crown is calling no evidence, therefore there is no evidence against Ms. Robertson… The charges against you, Ms. Robertson, are therefore dismissed.”

Robertson chose to stay in the Kamloops Supreme Courtroom to support her husband, Jason, who is facing 10 charges in his judge-alone trial.

It’s been more than three years since the Robertsons had their Sahali home raided by police, who seized dozens of firearms, some of which were allegedly stolen, along with brass knuckles, a taser, dozens of electronics and some drug packaging material.

The RCMP had launched a drug trafficking investigation in early 2014 focusing on Jason Robertson. The investigation went into May, when police conducted surveillance and executed search warrants in relation to the investigation.

Jason originally faced more than 30 charges, but the majority of those have been stayed, leaving Jason with a 10-count indictment to be tried on. He’s not facing any charges in connection to drug trafficking, and defence lawyer Micah Rankin wants Watchuk to remember that during trial.

“Mr. Robertson was not seen physically in control of any of the (narcotic) items,” Rankin said. “He must be tried on the charges before the court.”

Police originally said they seized drug paraphernalia from the Robertsons’ home, but Jason isn’t facing any drug charges. His alleged offences include possession of stolen property and unauthorized possession of firearms.

Crown anticipates calling eight police witnesses and one civilian witness. The trial is expected to wrap up on Friday.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


Mom's who have lost kids to overdose have been mailing photos to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as part of a new project called Somebody's Someone.
Trudeau getting hundreds of photos from Interior moms whose children died from overdoses
Hundreds of black-bordered envelopes adorned with purple hearts were sent to the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week from moms hurt by overdose deaths. Inside the envelopes are photos of family members who have died since the start of t

Top News