iN PHOTOS: Peachlanders showcase stunning rainbow over Okanagan Lake | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
25.7°C

Kelowna News

iN PHOTOS: Peachlanders showcase stunning rainbow over Okanagan Lake

A beautiful rainbow can be seen over Hobbes the dog's head, Wednesday, June 9, 2021 in Peachland.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Stacey Byrnes
June 10, 2021 - 12:00 PM

Peachlanders grabbed their cameras to grab a photo of the amazing rainbows above Okanagan Lake last evening.

Many residents, including Stacey Byrnes who captured a photo of her dog Hobbes perfectly poised in the middle of the rainbow last night, June 9, took to a popular Peachland Neighbours Facebook group to share photos.

Curious about rainbows? We've got you covered.

A rainbow is an arc of light made by striking water droplets. It's an optical illusion, and its appearance depends on where you're standing.

"The most familiar type rainbow is produced when sunlight strikes raindrops in front of a viewer at a precise angle (42 degrees). Rainbows can also be viewed around fog, sea spray, or waterfalls," according to National Geographic.

This week, there might be other opportunities for residents across the Okanagan Valley to see rainbows.

There’s a 30 per cent chance of showers along with a possible thunderstorm in Kamloops today, June 10, with a high of 19 Celsius, while the Okanagan should see a mix of sun and cloud with highs around 20 C.

There's no rain in the forecast for Kamloops later this week, but Vernon, Kelowna and Penticton have a 60 per cent chance of showers Saturday, decreasing to 40 per cent overnight with a high of 22 C.

Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Kayla Scott

Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Tracey Cook

Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Lynda Brown

Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Marty Edwards

To contact a reporter for this story, email Carli Berry or call 250-864-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

 

News from © iNFOnews, 2021
iNFOnews

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile