Defence minister says Cyclone helicopter deal 'worst' in Canada's history | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy  26.6°C

Defence minister says Cyclone helicopter deal 'worst' in Canada's history

A Canadian military Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone conducts test flights with HMCS Montreal in Halifax harbour on April 1, 2010. Defence Minister Peter MacKay says the much-delayed deal to buy a fleet of new helicopters for the air force represents the "worst procurement" in Canada's history. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan

HALIFAX - Defence Minister Peter MacKay says a deal to buy a long-promised new fleet of helicopters for the air force is the "worst procurement" in Canada's history.

Last month, Sikorsky International Operations missed a deadline to begin delivering the first batch of 28 CH-148 Cyclones.

MacKay, who was in Halifax today for a shipbuilding announcement, said the federal government is pushing as hard as possible to deliver the choppers.

The new helicopters are intended to replace the nearly half-century old Sea Kings, which have been plagued by technical problems.

The first Cyclone was originally due in November 2008, but there have been numerous delays and cost overruns with the procurement.

When originally proposed 12 years ago, the cost of the procurement was expected to be $2.8 billion.

But that has ballooned to an estimated $5.7 billion, according to a 2010 report by former auditor general Sheila Fraser.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2012
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile