Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard has sex offences case put over to September
Howard Alexander - News Editor
The case of Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard, who faces three sexual assault-related charges, will be returning to a Toronto court this morning. Hoggard poses backstage following the 2015 Juno Awards in Hamilton, Ont., on Sunday, March 15, 2015.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power
August 15, 2018 - 9:30 AM
TORONTO - The case of Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard, who faces three sex-related charges, was put over to September after a brief hearing in Toronto on Wednesday.
Hoggard, 34, was arrested last month and charged with one count of sexual interference and two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm.
Police have said the charges relate to three separate incidents involving a woman and a girl under the age of 16 that allegedly occurred in the Toronto area in 2016.
Hoggard did not appear in court for Wednesday's hearing and was represented by his lawyer Ian Smith.
A Crown lawyer told the court he was waiting to receive police notes and videos as part of initial disclosure in the case. Smith said he was also waiting to view those materials.
Hoggard, who is from Vancouver, has previously denied ever engaging in non-consensual sexual behaviour, but has said he behaved in a way that objectifies women.
His band went on indefinite hiatus earlier this year, after allegations of sexual misconduct came to light but before the charges were laid.
The two-time Juno-winning band had, by that point, already been dropped by its management team, blacklisted by scores of radio stations and abandoned by musicians booked as tour openers.
Hedley also withdrew itself from consideration for the Juno Awards in Vancouver earlier this year and backed out of performing on the telecast.
Hoggard's case is set to return to court on Sept. 12.
News from © The Canadian Press, 2018