Grass fire in Oliver sparked by discarded cigarette - InfoNews.ca

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
8.1°C

Grass fire in Oliver sparked by discarded cigarette

Oliver firefighters doused a grass fire on Fairview Road yesterday evening, around 5:45 p.m., Oct.5, 2017.
October 06, 2017 - 10:30 AM

OLIVER - It might be October, but Okanagan fire departments continue to answer calls for wildfires.

Oliver Fire Department spokesperson Rob Graham says firefighters responded to a grass fire on Fairview Road at about 5:45 p.m. yesterday, Oct. 5.

Graham says the fire was located behind a residence. It was mostly a surface fire but created a large amount of smoke.

The fire was started by a discarded cigarette, he says.

“We were able to get on it quickly and fortunately it was burning in what was mostly grass,” Graham says, adding damage was limited to a dog house that was consumed in the blaze.

Graham says it's still really dry out there.

“The fire wasn’t as aggressive as it would have been earlier in the year, but it was still active."


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile