Garbage can fire forces evacuation of Kelowna recreation centre

KELOWNA - A garbage can burning in a washroom led to the evacuation of Parkinson Recreation Centre Monday evening.

Platoon Capt. Steve Wallick says Kelowna Fire Department was called around 6:45 p.m., Monday, April 27, to alarm bells ringing and report of a fire, which burned in a garbage can in one of the washrooms before they arrived.

Staff were able to evacuate everyone before crews arrived and crews ventilated the building to remove the smoke. No one was injured.

The fire is considered suspicious and RCMP are investigating.

To contact the reporter for this story, email John McDonald at jmcdonald@infonews.ca or call 250-808-0143. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.


Western tent caterpillar
Why there were so many caterpillars in the North Okanagan this spring
NORTH OKANAGAN - Noticed a lot of caterpillars this year? You’re not alone. In some parts of the North Okanagan, thousands of caterpillars were seen blanketing roads and dropping from trees in late May and early June. Dr. Amanda

Top News