First West Kelowna chimney fire of the season sparks warning from fire department - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
4.6°C

First West Kelowna chimney fire of the season sparks warning from fire department

Image Credit: FILE PHOTO
December 05, 2016 - 2:30 PM

WEST KELOWNA - The fire department in West Kelowna responded to their first chimney fire of the season and are cautioning homeowners to stay safe while they stay warm this winter.

Firefighters were called to a chimney fire today, Dec. 5, according to a media release. Fifteen firefighters, two engines, one water tender and one command unit responded to the fire at a home on Cordova Way.

Fires in the home are common over the winter because of the extra heating equipment and appliances people use, the release states. Homeowners should pay attention to potential hazards like fireplaces, furnaces, chimneys and vents and space heaters.

Here is a list of home safety tips from West Kelowna Fire Rescue:

  • Have all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually by a registered fuel contractor
  • Keep chimneys and intake/exhaust vents for furnaces and heating appliances free of debris, ice and snow accumulations to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) build-up from inefficient combustion.
  • Burn dry, well-seasoned wood in fireplaces and wood stoves to reduce the risk of excessive creosote build-up in chimneys.
  • Clean wood burning chimneys prior to first use and when required.
  • Allow ashes from your fireplace or wood stove to cool before emptying them into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep the container outside.
  • Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including curtains, upholstery and clothing.
  • Replace worn or damaged electrical wires and connections on vehicles and extension cords and use the proper gauge extension cord for vehicle block heaters.
  • Consider using approved timers for vehicle block heaters rather than leaving heaters on all night.
  • Ensure that vehicles are not left running inside any garage or building.
  • Ensure there is a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas of your home.
  • Install CO alarms to alert you to the presence of this deadly gas.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Kim Anderson or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Parents arrested after 13 children found chained in house
    PERRIS, Calif. - A 17-year-old girl called police after escaping from her family's home where she and her 12 brothers and sisters were locked up in filthy conditions, some so malnourished offi
  • California couple's ordinary home held torture chamber
    PERRIS, Calif. - From the outside, the brown-and-beige four-bedroom home looked fairly orderly. The couple who owned it had purchased the house new in 2014 and soon arrived in this Los Angeles sub
  • TRENDING NOW: The rest of the story
                                  Y
  • EDITORIAL CARTOON
  • Weekend jail term for fraud
    PENTICTON - A Penticton woman who used her position of trust as a bookkeeper to fraudulently obtain more than $60,000 from her employer was sentenced to an intermittent jail term today. Judg
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile