UPDATE: Firefighters battle barn blaze in Kelowna’s north end
Howard Alexander - News Editor
Firefighters battle a barn fire on McKinley Road in Kelowna's Glenmore neighbourhood on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016.
(ADAM PROSKIW / iNFOnews.ca)
December 08, 2016 - 11:09 AM
KELOWNA – Fire crews extinguished a barn fire in Kelowna’s Glenmore neighbourhood yesterday afternoon.
Kelowna Fire Department was called to a report of a barn fire in the 1800 block of McKinley Road just before 4 p.m., Dec. 7. McKinley Road traffic was stopped in both directions for several hours as firefighters fought to contain the blaze to a 30 by 60 foot barn, according to a media release.
Platoon captain Steve Wallick says some ducks and geese were in the barn but all made it out safely.
"The crews on scene protected nearby buildings from catching fire and extinguished the barn from the exterior due to the advanced nature of the fire," Wallick says in the release. "The cause of the fire is not suspicious and early reports suggest it may have started from a heat lamp in the barn.
"The Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind everyone to exercise caution when using heating appliances."
— This story was updated at 10 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 8, 2016 to include information from a Kelowna Fire Department media release.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016