Fire crews fend off flames in Waterton Lakes National Park, townsite safe for now | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Kamloops News

Fire crews fend off flames in Waterton Lakes National Park, townsite safe for now

A large wild fire continues to burn in Waterton Lakes National Park, Alta. on September 12, 2017.
Image Credit: THE CANADIAN PRESS/David Rossiter
September 12, 2017 - 8:45 PM

WATERTON, Alta. - Fire crews halted the spread of a wildfire into the Waterton Lakes National Park townsite on Tuesday, but they were not able to save the visitor's centre or stop the flames from spreading into grasslands outside the southwestern Alberta park.

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said 500 people were ordered out of their homes in the Waterton townsite and in parts of nearby Cardston County, the Municipality of Pincher Creek and a First Nations community southwest of Lethbridge.

Remaining residents in Cardston, Pincher Creek and on the Blood reserve were warned they may have to leave on short notice. All three communities declared states of local emergency.

Some 135 firefighters, 14 helicopters and nine air tankers were battling the blaze in the park and more resources were on standby, Notley said.

"We're advised that efforts to fight the eastern border of the fire are likely to be more successful today during the day with the use of tanker and helicopter resources," she said.

"That work is underway. The wind dynamics will determine whether the eastern border can be held later today."

An evacuation order was issued for Waterton on Friday when shifting winds threatened to carry a fire burning across the B.C. boundary eastward.

By late Monday afternoon, the fire was established in the park and was moving northeast along the Akamina Parkway, a road that connects a popular recreational area at Cameron Lake in the park's southwest to the townsite.

Evacuation orders outside the park were issued late Monday and early Tuesday.

Forestry manager Bernie Schmitte said a grass fire ignited near the park's gate on Monday night, probably due to a blowing ember from the wildfire.

Crews were unable to stop the flames from spreading along both sides of Highway 6 and the fire burned until early Tuesday.

"Strong gusty winds continue to be in the forecast for the region, which has proved to be a challenge to firefighting efforts and we'll be monitoring that through the day," he said.

Rain in the forecast for later this week should help, he added.

"Whenever we do get (precipitation), that is a good firefighting day and we will make progress on that."

Blood officials ordered everyone out early Tuesday from homes and apartments in the extreme southwest corner of the reserve. Fire Chief Oscar Cotton said that affected about 50 homes and 100 people were in the evacuation centre.

"The only problem that we really have is the massive amount of smoke we're getting from that fire," Cotton said.

Lockey Craig, who has property just east of the park, drove down with his wife from Calgary on Monday night when it looked like the situation was worsening.

They managed to load some photo albums and other keepsakes into his vehicle before the area was put under an evacuation order late Monday night. Craig figures he got 2 1/2 hours of sleep at a niece's house in nearby Cardston.

He said when he was at his property, he could see smoke billowing out from the mountains in the park and there was ash falling from the sky.

"We live at least 10 kilometres away from the (park) gate and it looked like it was snowing."

Craig is the president of Waymarker Hospitality, which owns several hotels and restaurants within the park's townsite, He said the park's closure during one of the busiest tourist months will hurt.

"It is what it is. I'm very sad about what's happened," he said. "I'm very sad about the whole backcountry. Nothing we can do, though."

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna praised the work of firefighters on the ground.

"It has been a tough situation," she said outside a cabinet meeting in St. John's, N.L. "It was a tough night and they've been working extremely hard."

Shell Canada said it was keeping a close eye on its sour gas plant operation in the area.

The company said it planned to gradually shut in wells and facilities close to the flames. Staff doing the work were being accompanied by fire suppression teams to ensure safety.

— By Lauren Krugel in Calgary, with files from Ken Trimble and John Cotter in Edmonton and Sue Bailey in St John's.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2017
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile