Fire at Kamloops home under renovation quickly extinguished by crews
Ashley Legassic - Reporter
August 09, 2017 - 9:54 AM
KAMLOOPS - The damage to a home undergoing renovations on the North Shore was limited thanks to a quick-thinking construction crew and fast-acting firefighters.
Kamloops Fire Rescue Capt. Dale Greffard says crews were called to the home in the 500 block of Royal Avenue yesterday morning, Aug. 8, after a construction crew spotted smoke in the back of the home.
Greffard says investigators believe the blaze sparked from an electrical issue in the home's garage, but spread to an outside wall of the home.
"The home was unoccupied, it was under fairly major renovations," Greffard says. "It started in a garage area and the fire extended up an outside wall and into an attic space."
Shortly after 7:30 a.m., crews were called by the construction workers and firefighters were able to extinguish it quickly when they arrived.
Although the home was unoccupied, crews conducted a full search of the home due to some issues it had with people breaking in and staying in the home.
"Our fire prevention office had a look and they do think it started from an electrical issue in the garage," Greffard says, noting the fire is not considered suspicious.
He says it's fortunate the home was undergoing renovations, as the areas affected were likely going to be renovated anyway.
"It was a good thing the (construction) crew arrived when they did," Greffard says.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017