Feedback Sought for Draft Trash Plan
SUBMITTED/Thompson-Nicola Regional District
Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Thompson-Nicola Regional District
November 10, 2017 - 1:22 PM
The Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) is seeking feedback on its draft Regional Solid Waste Management Plan (RSWMP).
To that end, a survey has been launched to gather public opinion. The survey, as well as a copy of the Plan, will be available online at tnrd.ca or at PlaceSpeak. As an added incentive, participants in the survey can be entered into a prize draw for $100 Visa Gift Card or a home composting kit valued at $160. The survey closes Feb. 9, 2018.
The Plan provides guidance for the handling of garbage and recycling for the next 10 years. The draft RSWMP is the result of collaboration between regional district and municipal staff, consultants, elected officials, industry stakeholders, and members of the public. These recommendations will reduce the amount of waste landfilled in the TNRD by 20 per cent.
The draft RSWMP includes the following initiatives:
1. Increase recycling by businesses and institutions.
2. Increasing the diversion of waste generated by construction and demolition activities.
3. Reduce the amount of organic waste (food scraps, yard waste) being landfilled.
4. Increase promotion and education efforts.
5. Encourage the proper disposal of household hazardous waste (HHW) through the
development of a permanent HHW drop-off in Kamloops.
6. Continue to tackle illegal dumping through the ongoing support of community cleanups
and develop a region-wide illegal dumping strategy in collaboration with the Ministry of
7. Increase the efficiency of how we use our landfills. The draft RSWMP recommends an
operational change at the Heffley Creek Landfill and the closure of the Barnhartvale Landfill.
FYI contains information submitted from the public and is displayed exactly as it was received. Information is clearly attributed in bylines and not created by iNFOnews.ca staff. For more information, please contact the referring organization. If you have questions about FYI, or would like to submit information to FYI, please send directly to email@example.com.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017