Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off in harsh conditions, but journey to Pole goes on - InfoNews

Current Conditions

0.5°C

Prince Harry's Antarctic race called off in harsh conditions, but journey to Pole goes on

This undated photo made available by Walking with the Wounded (WWTW) on Saturday Dec. 7, 2013 shows Britain's Prince Harry, right, during training near Novo, Antarctica, ahead of an Antarctic charity race. Organizers of the race involving Prince Harry say they are suspending the competition due to harsh conditions but plan to continue the journey to the South Pole. Harry, 29, is a member of one of three teams involving injured soldiers that set off last week on the 200-mile (320-kilometer) Walking with the Wounded South Pole Challenge. (AP Photo/Robert Leveritt, WWTW)
December 07, 2013 - 9:52 AM

LONDON - Organizers of an Antarctic charity race involving Prince Harry say they are suspending its competitive element due to harsh conditions but plan to continue the journey to the South Pole.

Harry, 29, is a member of one of three teams involving injured soldiers that set off last week on the 200-mile (320-kilometre) Walking with the Wounded South Pole Challenge.

Expedition director Ed Parker said the teams were experiencing "a higher degree of stress" than expected and will no longer race one another but travel and camp together. He said Saturday that he hopes they will finish the final 70 miles (112 kilometres) to the pole within a week.

Harry and actors Dominic West and Alexander Skarsgard are on the trek with teams from Britain, the Commonwealth and the United States.

News from © The Associated Press, 2013
The Associated Press

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile