Doubt cast on return of Canucks Young Stars tournament to Penticton
Steve Arstad - Reporter
An Edmonton sports journalist tweeted yesterday, Jan. 18, 2017, the Vancouver Canucks Young Stars Classic may not take place at the South Okanagan Events Centre this year.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED
January 19, 2018 - 1:26 PM
PENTICTON - Was 2017 the last year for the Vancouver Canucks Young Stars Classic hockey tournament in Penticton?
Edmonton sports journalist Jim Matheson said in a tweet yesterday, Jan. 18, he has heard the Young Stars tournament — which features rookie prospects from NHL teams in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg — might not go ahead this September.
"Last fall's annual event was disappointing for (the) calibre of kids taking part said many NHL scouts," Matheson said on Twitter.
Penticton mayor Andrew Jakubeit, who is also the tournament's chair, says the tweet from Matheson was a surprise and as far as he knows it’s business as usual.
“Basically, we are still working with the Canucks to finalize the details of the Young Stars tournament. It is our intention to host the event again this year,” Jakubeit says.
The fall tournament has taken place at the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton since 2010.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2018