Discarded butt sparks garage fire

KELOWNA – A small fire at a garage in Kelowna was out by the time firefighters arrived this morning.

Platoon captain Kelly Stephens says a discarded cigarette in a planter pot started the fire around 11:14 a.m., April 16, at 540 Cridge Rd. in Rutland.

The fire scorched the outside of the garage door before a resident with a garden hose put it out.

Firefighters vented the smoke from the garage when they arrived.

“Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind people that smoking materials are a cause of many fires,” Stephens says in a media release. “Please if you smoke, do so outside. Use a deep glass or metal ashtray to dispose of the ashes and butts.”

To contact the reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander at halexander@infonews.ca or call 250-491-0331. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

ALBAS: Income tax season is upon us
  OPINION This week’s report is a reminder that in a little over a month, April 30, the majority of Canadians need to complete and file their 2017 Canada Income Tax returns to avoid potential late penalties.

Top News