Current Conditions

Partly Cloudy
6.2°C

Decision in Kamloops sex assault trial expected next month

March 06, 2017 - 6:30 PM

KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops man charged with sexually assaulting two women after a New Year's Eve party more than two years ago will find out his fate next month.

Mathew Rittinger, 25, stood trial last month on two charges of sexual assault. Both complainants in the case cannot be identified due to a court-ordered publication ban.

One woman alleges Rittinger raped her while she slept in his house and the other woman says he aggressively touched her without her consent.

Rittinger elected a Supreme Court judge trial so it will be up to judge Hope Hyslop to decide if the evidence against Rittinger left no reasonable doubt that he should be convicted.

Lawyers met in court today, March 6, to set a date for Hyslop's decision. Crown prosecutor Camille Cook says the decision is expected to be handed down on April 3.

For more on this case, go here. 


To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile