Current Conditions

2.6°C

Decision in Kamloops double sexual assault case delayed to next month

Image Credit: FILE PHOTO
April 05, 2017 - 1:15 PM

KAMLOOPS - It will be more than another month until a man charged with sexually assaulting two women after a New Year's Eve party learns his fate.

Mathew Rittinger stood trial on the accusations in Kamloops Supreme Court earlier this year and a decision was expected to be handed down April 3.

But Crown prosecutor Camille Cook says the decision has now been adjourned until May 23, when Judge Hope Hyslop is expected to find Rittinger either guilty or not guilty of the accusations made in court.

Two women who were acquaintances at the time of the alleged offence, testified during the February trial that they went to Rittinger's home after a New Year's Eve party on Dec. 31, 2014. Both complainants in the case cannot be identified due to a court-ordered publication ban.

One woman, who was 18 years old at the time of the alleged offence, told the court Rittinger raped her while she slept in a spare bedroom in his home. The other complainant says Rittinger touched her aggressively without her consent.

Rittinger denied the accusations, saying relations with both of the women that night were consensual. 

For more on this case, go here.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile