Crews make short work of West Kelowna chimney fire

Image Credit: West Kelowna Fire Rescue

WEST KELOWNA – This morning West Kelowna Fire Rescue crews responded quickly to a chimney fire, preventing it from spreading.

Crews were called to a house in the 2700 block of Shannon Lake Road at 11:20 a.m. today, Dec. 17, Assistant Fire Chief Chad Gartrell says in a media release.

Gartrell says flames were coming from the top of the chimney when they arrived.

Firefighters laddered to the roof to contain the fire. They cleared the chimney of excessive creosote build up in order to extinguish it.

As temperatures drop, more homes are using wood burning appliances.

"We would like to remind all residents with wood burning appliances in their home to ensure their chimneys have been cleaned and assessed by a qualified (WETT) technician. With the recent cold temperatures there are increased heating demands put on this type of heat source," Gartrell says.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


chris-george
GEORGE: When economic imperatives clash with the military-industrial apparatus
  OPINION As citizens, we expect a lot from our governments. We expect them to provide wise guidance for our economy, prudent shepherding of our environment, and protection from violence both foreign and domestic.

Top News