No injuries in fire at Le Devoir building in Montreal

MONTREAL - A cigarette butt tossed into a flower pot is the suspected cause of a fire Monday evening that began on the roof of the building that houses Montreal's Le Devoir newspaper.

The newspaper’s director, Brian Myles, said all of his employees in the building are safe, but there is “heavy damage,” though the extent is unknown.

Journalist Lisa Marie Gervais wrote that Le Devoir employees, on the building's ninth floor, left when they began to smell smoke and before any alarms sounded.

Sprinklers did not go off on the eighth and ninth floors and Myles said it's hoped water damage is minimal.

The newspaper said it would still be able to produce Tuesday’s edition and maintain its website.

Myles said there are several offers to house Le Devoir’s staff while they are away from the building and those options will be evaluated on Tuesday.

Le Devoir moved into the building at Berri and Ste-Catherine streets in December 2016.


letters-to-the-editor
FUHR: Canada is actually doing well in today's economy
  OPINION The economy remains a top concern for Canadians and constituents often write to me looking for assurance that our government is doing all it can to foster an environment of economic growth and job creation.

Top News