A woman protests proposed changes to Nanaimo Square in downtown Penticton.
Image Credit: Keith Lacey, Local Journalism Initiative
April 04, 2025 - 4:03 PM
Members of Penticton City Council were hesitant to endorse a senior staff report that recommended significant changes to Nanaimo Square, a popular gathering space in the heart of downtown Penticton.
The report, which proposed removing trees and dismantling a beloved salmon fish fountain, sparked a protest on Monday that drew about 30 local residents.
The protest followed media coverage about the staff report, which was presented to the council for consideration. The report suggested these changes in response to concerns about safety and behaviour in the area.
Nanaimo Square, located at the intersection of Nanaimo Avenue and Main Street, has been a key public space in Penticton since it was created in 2005 to foster community engagement and support local businesses. However, in recent years, the square has faced challenges that have undermined its intended purpose. These issues, according to the staff report, included the increasing presence of the city’s homeless population and a range of problematic behaviours, such as overnight sheltering, public defecation, drug use, and loitering. As a result, residents and visitors have been discouraged from frequenting the square, which has diminished its role as a vibrant and welcoming space for the community.
Following a lengthy discussion during a council meeting on Tuesday, council voted to maintain the status quo at Nanaimo Square. They decided to delay any major changes and instead asked the newly-formed Public Safety Advisory Committee to examine alternative options for improving the space. Council members acknowledged the importance of finding a solution that balanced the needs of the community with the safety and well-being of all those who use the square.
Julie Czeck, the city’s general manager of public safety and partnerships, presented the staff report to the council, accompanied by Michael Magnusson, executive director of the Penticton and Wine Country Chamber of Commerce. Czeck explained that Nanaimo Square had been experiencing a troubling trend over the past few years, as the area had increasingly become a hotspot for undesirable activities.
“Nanaimo Square was originally intended to be an exciting hangout space in the community that would support foot traffic for local businesses,” she said. “While the area experiences considerable pedestrian activity during the summer months, it has increasingly become an area for problematic behaviors, including overnight sheltering, public defecation and bathing in the water fountain, drug use, and loitering.”
Czeck pointed out that the city had dedicated significant resources from the bylaw enforcement team and the RCMP to address the issues at Nanaimo Square.
“Since 2021, there have been close to 1,500 calls for service between bylaw and the police department at this location,” she said. “Despite this, enforcement actions alone have not been enough to address the underlying challenges that persist.”
The staff report outlined several potential changes based on the principles of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED), a methodology widely used in Canadian cities to reduce crime and improve public safety. The proposed changes included removing the large spruce tree and the fountain, trimming two other trees to improve sight lines, upgrading the back alley, and altering the current seating arrangements. These measures were intended to make the square feel safer, more inviting, and conducive to the community’s original vision for the space.
However, council members expressed concerns about the proposed changes and their potential negative impact on the square’s character and appeal. Coun. Campbell Watt was particularly vocal in his opposition to the drastic alterations suggested by the staff report.
“I’m unable to support this, certainly as is,” Watt said.
— This story was originally published by the Penticton Herald
News from © iNFOnews, 2025