Christmas lights cause deck fire in Kelowna

Image Credit: Public Domain Pictures

KELOWNA – The quick actions of a neighbour helped put out a deck fire that started with some incorrectly-installed Christmas lights.

A media release from Kelowna Fire Department Platoon Capt. Steve Wallick says firefighters were called to the 800 block of Harvey Avenue shortly after 7 p.m. Nov. 27.

“When crews arrived, they discovered that the fire was put out by a neighbour with a fire extinguisher,” he says. “Cause of the fire was accidental and it started by faulty installation of Christmas lights.”

Occupants were home at the time and there were no injuries.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


Western tent caterpillar
Why there were so many caterpillars in the North Okanagan this spring
NORTH OKANAGAN - Noticed a lot of caterpillars this year? You’re not alone. In some parts of the North Okanagan, thousands of caterpillars were seen blanketing roads and dropping from trees in late May and early June. Dr. Amanda

Top News