Chimney causes Kelowna house fire

FILE PHOTO

KELOWNA - A family of five can't return home after their house caught fire late yesterday evening.

At approximately 11:15 p.m on Dec. 9, a homeowner in the 2700 block of Springfield Road called 911 and reported smoke in the home above the fireplace.

When crews arrived, they witnessed smoke coming from the eaves of the house, meaning the fire was in the attic.

There were no injuries to the family of five, who were home at the time.

In order to extinguish the blaze, firefighters removed part of the ceiling and wall around the fireplace.

The home sustained moderate damage and the residents have been displaced.

Investigators say a faulty or dirty chimney was the cause.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


letters-to-the-editor
LETTER: Lynn Beyak's anti-Indigenous narrative is not new to Indigenous peoples
  OPINION Editor, Senator Lynn Beyak’s racist letters that were published on her website have been controversial in the media lately but the news frenzy surrounding Beyak’s actions to support an anti-I

Top News