Candles started a fire that damaged Kelowna home | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Kelowna News

Candles started a fire that damaged Kelowna home

Image Credit: Shutterstock
September 23, 2017 - 9:30 AM

KELOWNA -  Lighting a candle let to the destruction of a family home but no injuries were reported.

Around 11:27 p.m. yesterday the Kelowna Fire Dispatch Center received a 911 call about a fire at a single-family home on the 1700 block of Garner Road, according to a Kelowna Fire Department release issued today, Sept. 23.

Heavy smoke and 20-foot flames coming from the rear second floor of the residence was found by the first arriving fire engine.

The fire was battled from inside the home to quickly contain and knock down the fire. A second hose line stopped the fire from spreading to large pine trees around the home, says Platoon Captain Kelly Stephens.

Stephens says there was extensive fire damage to the first and second floors and the roof and attic space.
At the time of the fire, three people and one cat were home and they all got out of the house safely, however, they will not be able to return home because of the fire damage and are being looked after by Emergency Support Services.

Candles inside the home started the blaze.
Stephens says the Kelowna Fire Department would like to advise the public to always have a working smoke alarm in your home. Smoke Alarms Save Lives.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Taylor Rae or call 250-819-6089 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2017

  • Popular kamloops News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile