Big grant could revitalize Vernon's "Peanut" Wading Pool - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Sunny
11.9°C

Big grant could revitalize Vernon's "Peanut" Wading Pool

Vernon's Lakeview Wading Pool, or Peanut pool as it's known, is shown in this image from Google Street View.
Image Credit: GOOGLE STREET VIEW
January 18, 2019 - 11:15 AM

VERNON - Recreation Services is looking for a major funding boost to revitalize a Vernon summer landmark.

Gary Lefebvre, manager of aquatics in Vernon, submitted a letter to council asking for its approval to apply for grant funding for a renovation of the popular outdoor Lakeview Wading Pool also known as the Peanut Pool due to its shape.

Recreation Services is looking to apply for the Canada-British Columbia Investing in Canada Infrastructure program to cover up to 73.33 per cent of the total cost of the project. This share would work out to be $1,472,100. Recreation Services will also be asking council to approve the remaining 26.67 per cent ($535,400) to be funded from the Recreation Services Major Maintenance Reserve Fund and the Infrastructure Levy.

The project is designed to revitalize the pool, which is over 60 years old, Lefebvre says in the letter. The pool, which is open free of charge, receives an estimated 6,000 visitors every season.

He noted the pool needs several upgrades to remain inviting and accessible to the public. These changes include the replacement of the fibreglass and concrete pool basin, the installation of a new spray park, the relocation of a new washroom, hand rails, wide pathways, zero depth entry, and a heating system to make the pool more comfortable for visitors on cooler days. The majority of these changes would be achieved by completely replacing the existing pool with a similarly sized basin.

Lefebvre highlighted the importance of sustainability for the pool. Solar heating, high-efficiency gas heaters, and regenerative media filtration systems were noted as possible avenues to make the new pool more sustainable.

If the grant application is ultimately accepted, the letter stated the project might be able to start in fall 2020 with a possible opening date of late June 2021.

Council will consider the proposal at their regular meeting on Monday, Jan. 21.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Sean Mott or call (250) 864-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2019
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Rewards for missing pets occupy legal grey zone
    KELOWNA - John Brooke was walking in the woods near Glenrosa two weeks ago when his dog Gus went missing. Brooke said he lost sight of his dog and spent the next two hours whistling for him to no
  • UPDATE: No injuries in Trans-Canada Highway avalanche
    REVELSTOKE — The Trans-Canada Highway near Revelstoke is currently closed after an avalanche hit this afternoon. A small natural avalanche occurred 46 km east of Revelstoke at about 1
  • Penticton man gets two years for sexual interference with daughter
    CONTENT ADVISORY PENTICTON - A Penticton man has pleaded guilty to sexually interfering with his daughter and was sentenced to two years in prison today. The 46-year-old Penticton ma
  • Salmon Arm man fined $3,000 for poaching cow moose
    SALMON ARM - A Salmon Arm man has been fined $3,000 and had two firearms confiscated for poaching a cow moose out of season. B.C. Conservation Officer Service spokesperson Tanner Beck said t
  • TRENDING NOW: Voice actress trolls scammer
    %%nodefaultimage%% Rosie Okumura is a California-based artist who likes to have a little fun with scammers. In the first part of the video she explains the scam that targets film indus
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile