Be safe this Halloween

Image Credit: Shutterstock

West Kelowna Fire Rescue wishes everyone a Happy Halloween and asks all the little ghost and goblins out there to stay safe while they enjoy their trick-or-treating.

The National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) offers helpful Halloween safety tips:

  • Wear reflective costumes, carry a flashlight or wear glow sticks to improve visibility
  • Avoid masks and costumes that obstruct visibility or consist of billowy materials
  • Instead of candles, use battery operated candles or glow sticks in your jack-o’-lanterns, candelabras and other spooky decorations
  • Remind children to keep clear of jack-o’-lanterns and other decorations that do have candles and open flames
  • Keep flammable decorations, such as dried flowers, cornstalks, costumed characters and craft paper, away from candles, fireplaces and other open flames and heat sources
  • Clear all pathways and exits of pumpkins and large decorations that may pose tripping hazards for trick-or-treaters or block your way in an emergency

Watch those candles! Decorations are the first thing to ignite in 900 reported home fires each year. Two of every five of these fires were started by a candle, according to the NFPA.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue also reminds everyone that fireworks can cause injury and fire. Only certified professionals, who obtain a special events permit from the Fire Chief, are permitted to set off fireworks.


chris-george
GEORGE: Time's up for this old sign of male privilege
When you belong to a Facebook buy and sell group, you are exposed to a lot of interesting things for sale. I recently spotted a plastic toddler urinal that hangs on the wall so that toddlers can practice their aim. I laughed. The very next

Top News