BC man awarded $5,000 after intimate video posted online | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source
Subscribe

Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Current Conditions Sunny  35.0°C

Vernon News

BC man awarded $5,000 after intimate video posted online

FILE PHOTO.
Image Credit: pexels.com

A BC man, who had a video of him having sex posted online, has been awarded $5,000.

According to a June 7 BC Civil Resolution Tribunal decision, J.G. - as he's referred to in the court document - met R.C. on Grindr and consented to be filmed when the two had sex.

However, R.C. then posted the five-minute video to his OnlyFans and Just For Fans accounts. He also posted clips on X, formerly known as Twitter, to his 100,000 followers.

The decision didn't say when this took place, but two years later J.G. realized the intimate footage had been posted online.

The case is the third since the province's new Intimate Images Protection Act was passed early this year. The new law aims to speed up the process of taking intimate images down and allows victims to sue for $5,000.

In this case, J.G., said when he consented to the filming it was with the "understanding" that the video would remain private.

R.C. argued his partner knew the video would be shared "based on a conversation."

The Tribunal didn't buy it.

READ MORE: JONESIE: How Canadian news became victims in its own story

"(R.C.) does not explain whether this conversation happened before he put the video online, or provide any other details," the Tribunal ruled. "I find the (J.G.) always had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the video."

J.G. said in the decision that it's "horrifying" to know that a video showing him having sex, with his face shown, has been on the internet for more than two years.

While the video has been removed he said it caused him "mental distress in general, and anxiety around sex and intimacy."

He argued for $5,000, the maximum amount, in compensation.

R.C. offered $2,000 and said the video wasn't on his Only Fans account very long because he didn't have a consent form. He also said while the video was on his Just For Fans account for two years, he didn't realize it and meant no harm.

He also said that profit from the video was minimal as he only has about 100 subscribers on each platform.

READ MORE: BC woman loses legal case alleging ex shared nude photos of her

Ultimately, the Tribunal ruled for the video to be taken down if it exists anywhere online and ordered R.C. to pay his former partner $5,000.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Ben Bulmer or call (250) 309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. SUBSCRIBE to our awesome newsletter here.

News from © iNFOnews, 2024
iNFOnews

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile