BC Housing has come through with funding, which will allow the temporary winter shelter on Warren Avenue in Penticton to continue operating as a full-time shelter for at least two more months.
Image Credit: Keith Lacey, Local Journalism Initiative
April 02, 2025 - 5:30 PM
The City of Penticton's homeless shelter, located on Warren Avenue in the city's industrial park, has received funding to remain open for at least two more months.
The City issued a news release on Tuesday stating that members of council met with the Minister of Housing and Municipal Affairs, Ravi Kahlon, last week to discuss solutions for encampments, shelters, and housing in Penticton.
"The meeting focused on Penticton’s proactive approach and request for provincial funding to support the Heart and Hearth program in the city," the release said. "The Province has confirmed interim funding for the Temporary Winter Shelter for April and May, ensuring no disruption to services as discussions continue."
Mayor Julius Bloomfield called the meeting productive and positive.
“This was a valuable opportunity to reinforce that Penticton is ready to deliver solutions," he said. "We’ve taken a thoughtful approach to supporting unhoused residents, and we’re encouraged by the Province’s engagement. We look forward to working together to explore options for housing solutions across the housing continuum, including programs like Heart and Hearth."
The City will continue to work closely with BC Housing, 100 More Homes, community service providers, and the Snpink’tn Indian Band this spring to ensure that the right mix of housing, services, and supports is available, and to identify suitable locations for all types of housing, including for the unhoused.
“We’re grateful to have partners like the City of Penticton who are willing to come to the table to find solutions for people experiencing homelessness,” said Kahlon. “The simple truth is, if we don’t keep shelters open, it means more people living on the streets or in encampments. We’ll continue helping people access the supports they need to stabilize their lives and build safer communities for us all.”
The Penticton and Overdose Prevention Society (POPS) issued a statement on social media earlier this week confirming that BC Housing would provide an additional two months of funding for the 40-bed facility, which opened last November and was scheduled to close as a winter shelter at the end of March.
"Since we opened, we've seen the powerful impact of providing a place of warmth—both literal and figurative—on people," said Desiree Surowski, founder and executive director of POPS, in the social media post. "It has been so rewarding to see lives change firsthand. The tattoos tell part of the story, but they don’t tell the whole story."
"The change has been profound for those who have found shelter, received medical treatment, or participated in our neighborhood cleanup. The shelter allowed people to see their value and feel supported. Witnessing the personal transformation, the renewal of pride, and the sense of community has been incredible."
The shelter has been at full capacity every night since it opened in November, and this funding ensures that 40 local residents will have a roof over their heads and access to a variety of services for at least the next 60 days, she said.
"BC Housing has provided two months of bridge funding to allow the shelter to operate while longer-term funding arrangements are made," Surowski said. "This means 40 people won’t be put out on the streets and that we can continue making meaningful connections with those in need. Our goal isn’t to run a business, but to ensure everyone who needs a roof over their head has one, and that those needing treatment receive support. We're not there yet, but we're making progress. Thank you again for your support. On the tough days, those notes of encouragement or even something as simple as dropping off socks to show you care means so much."
Two weeks ago, city council unanimously supported continuing the shelter program on Warren Avenue for another year, contingent upon negotiations between the city and provincial government—specifically BC Housing—resulting in adequate funding to keep the shelter open for 12 months beyond the planned closure date of March 31.
Council members emphasized that the city is an active and willing partner in supporting the shelter, but it will not commit to providing operational funding to extend the shelter’s operations from a temporary winter shelter to a year-round facility until March 2026.
“The intent today is to continue keeping the shelter open through the spring and summer, and for another year,” said Blake Laven, the city’s director of development services.
Last October, the city agreed to lease the industrial warehouse space on Warren Avenue and worked with partners to convert the space into a temporary winter shelter. Council agreed that the shelter would only move forward with financial support from the provincial government and the establishment of a detailed safety and security plan, Laven said.
Council has received regular updates on the status of the shelter over the winter, and in early March, staff informed council about their intention to enter into negotiations with the provincial government to secure funding to keep the shelter open beyond its scheduled closure at the end of March, Laven added.
"In essence, we are working to extend the shelter’s operations for a full year," he said.
Negotiations between senior staff and BC Housing are ongoing, and senior administration remains confident that the necessary funding will be secured soon, Laven said.
"Since that direction from council, staff have been working with provincial representatives to secure funding commitments for the shelter," he said. "With the level of support the shelter has had so far, staff have also been in discussions with other partners who have been providing services to the shelter, including Interior Health and the arts council."
"While we have not yet received a firm commitment from the province for overall funding, staff are confident that there is a strong desire to keep the shelter operating. However, there are competing priorities, so this remains an open question."
Staff will not support issuing further permits for the shelter to remain open without a funding commitment from the province, he said.
Coun. Campbell Watt expressed his support for extending the shelter if BC Housing provides funding for another year. However, he voiced concern about continuously applying "short-term band-aids" to the city's homelessness issues.
"This is too big a problem... not just for the residents, but for the people in these places," he said. "It’s up to the provincial government to provide adequate funding to ensure that homeless residents have access to non-market housing options."
"When I say 'we,' I mean society, and I mean the province, quite frankly," he said. "Homelessness is not just one issue—there are many reasons it happens."
Many people seeking refuge in shelters suffer from mental health and addiction issues, which municipal governments are not equipped to solve, he added.
"I challenge the province to take responsibility for this, because we are not the only community feeling the pressure," Watt said.
Mayor Julius Bloomfield acknowledged that homelessness is a growing problem, not only in Penticton but across the province and country.
"We are not alone in this," he said. "The solution isn’t necessarily to build more facilities of all types. We may need more housing options for homeless people."
"But the goal, from a shelter perspective, is to operate effectively and have facilities that work," he said. "It’s not about having more facilities; it’s about making the ones we have more effective."
Any community shelter should provide temporary accommodation until more permanent housing options are available, he said.
"I understand and share some of council's concerns, but I believe that in this case, the shelter has demonstrated that when there is accountability for operations, it leads to positive results," he said.
Julie Czeck, the city's director of public safety and partnerships, highlighted several success stories from the shelter over the past five months.
"This new model means people aren’t discharged back into the community every morning," she said. "From a shelter user perspective, this model has produced improved outcomes, including 11 transitions into permanent housing, 60 priority contacts with Interior Health physicians, 30 mental health and substance use connections, and over 250 room care interventions."
There are just under 40 homeless clients still staying at the winter shelter overnight, she said.
Nearby business owners have lodged virtually no complaints, and shelter partners have worked hard to ensure that the area outside the shelter remains clean, she added.
"From a public safety perspective, this model has been a game-changer, with significant reductions in calls for service for bylaw and fire departments," she said.
The few police calls for service that did occur were handled quickly by the shelter operator and the integrated police model involving officers and healthcare professionals, she said.
The city is covering the leasing costs for the building, which are paid until April 2026, Laven said.
"We are paying for the space, whether it’s used or not," he said.
The city will not be asked to provide any operational funding now or in the future, he added.
"Under the proposed plan, the province is required to fund this model," he said. "If that funding doesn't come through, the shelter will no longer operate."
"In summary, we are seeing positive outcomes due to how the shelter has been set up and operated this year," he said.
Council voted unanimously in favour of the staff recommendation to extend the shelter for another 12 months, until April 2026, pending a deal with BC Housing to provide adequate funding.
— This story was originally published by the Penticton Herald
News from © iNFOnews, 2025