BAT ASSAULT: Decision on bail for Teichrieb postponed until January

Kristopher Teichrieb, 39, is charged with attempted murder and assault with a weapon in connection to the beating of Jessie Simpson
Image Credit: Contributed

KAMLOOPS - The Kamloops man charged with beating a Savona teen with a baseball bat earlier this year will find out next month whether or not he will be granted bail.

Kristopher Teichrieb, 39, is charged with attempted murder and assault with a weapon in connection to the beating of Jessie Simpson in June of this year.

He appeared in Kamloops court today, Dec. 19, via video from Vancouver Supreme Court. Associate Chief Justice Austin Cullen said he won't make his decision until the first week of January. The details of today's hearing cannot be published due to a court-ordered publication ban.

It was Teichrieb's second bail hearing. He was originally denied bail in Kamloops Provincial Court in the fall, but when he elected trial by judge and jury in Supreme Court, he became eligible for a second bail hearing.

Simpson has been in a coma since June 19. Friends and family have previously said Simpson, who was 18 at the time, had stumbled upon Teichrieb's property after attending a graduation party in the Brock neighbourhood.

Since being in custody, Teichrieb has been charged with another offence. Court documents show the alleged offence happened while Teichrieb was in pre-trial custody in Surry. He's facing one charge of counselling an indictable offence not committed. The document states he allegedly counselled someone to commit bodily harm against a person.

The information on the charge was sworn Nov. 24, but the offence allegedly happened a month prior. Details of the charge are also protected under a court-ordered publication ban.

Teichrieb is scheduled for a preliminary inquiry beginning Jan. 23, 2017.

For more of our coverage on this story, go here.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


Brandy Dumont says she couldn't be more excited to be a part of Toronto's first Indigenous fashion week. The 24-year-old mother is pictured in her first fashion show dedicated to missing and murdered indigenous women last summer.
How a Kamloops model is using her First Nations roots on the runway
KAMLOOPS - Brandy Dumont will appear in Toronto’s first Indigenous fashion week at the end of the month. The Kamloops woman was recently selected to walk the runway at the spring fashion show, which will showcase Indigenous models and

Top News