Accidental fire forces residents to flee West Kelowna home | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

3.9°C

Kelowna News

Accidental fire forces residents to flee West Kelowna home

A fire in a West Kelowna basement last night may have been caused by candles.
Image Credit: Submitted/West Kelowna Fire Rescue
February 19, 2021 - 7:11 AM

Fire officials have issued a warning about burning candles following what they say was an accidental fire at about 10:20 p.m. yesterday, Feb. 18

West Kelowna Fire Rescue rushed to a home in the 3100 block of Vineyard View Way in West Kelowna to find a fire in the basement of the home.

Residents had already evacuated the building by the time they arrived. They quickly knocked the fire down before it could spread to the first floor.

While a fire department news release did not state the cause of the fire it did “remind residents to avoid using candles in bedrooms, bathrooms, and sleeping areas” and to make sure they put candles out when they leave the room, the home or go to bed.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Rob Munro or call 250-808-0143 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © iNFOnews, 2021
iNFOnews

  • Popular vernon News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile