The Latest: County paying $6M to estate of slain black man - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
3.3°C

The Latest: County paying $6M to estate of slain black man

March 09, 2018 - 12:43 PM

TULSA, Okla. - The Latest on a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by the family of an unarmed black man who was fatally shot by a white former reserve deputy in Oklahoma (all times local):

2:40 p.m.

An Oklahoma county is paying $6 million to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by the family of an unarmed black man who was fatally shot by a white former sheriff's reserve deputy.

The settlement between Tulsa County and the estate of Eric Harris was filed Friday. Harris was shot in April 2015 by ex-volunteer sheriff's deputy Robert Bates.

The 76-year-old Bates was released from prison in October after serving less than half of a four-year sentence for second-degree manslaughter.

Sheriff Vic Regalado said in a statement he believes the settlement will allow the Harris family to heal.

An attorney for Harris' family says his legacy brings hope for "some measure of justice and accountability" when a law officer "violates the rights and takes the life of an African-American citizen."

___

9:40 a.m.

A white former reserve deputy who was convicted in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man has asked the Oklahoma Court of Appeals to rehear an appeal he lost.

Attorneys for Robert Bates say in a Wednesday filing that in its ruling last month upholding Bates' second-degree manslaughter conviction, the court adopted an "unworkable standard" that excludes the consideration of special standards that apply to professionals such as Bates.

The filing, which was first reported by the Tulsa World, also contends that the court made a factual error by ruling that Bates didn't ask for the trial judge to instruct the jury about the rules governing the use of force by police officers.

Bates was a Tulsa County reserve deputy when he fatally shot Eric Harris in Tulsa during undercover investigation in 2015.

Bates said he mistook his handgun for his stun gun.

News from © The Associated Press, 2018
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile