The Latest: Hanabusa calls for missile alert transparency - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Light Rain
0.9°C

The Latest: Hanabusa calls for missile alert transparency

FILE - In this Jan. 30, 2018 file photo, Hawaii Gov. David Ige speaks during a news conference about the state's mistaken missile report in Honolulu. Gov. Hawaii officials have repeatedly pointed to a low-level state employee and a breakdown in his agency’s leadership as the main cause for a missile alert that left hundreds of thousands of islanders thinking they might die in a nuclear blast in January. But efforts to find out more about what other top officials did that day have been stymied at the highest levels of state government. (AP Photo/Caleb Jones, File)
March 13, 2018 - 3:54 PM

HONOLULU - The Latest on Hawaii's refusal to release records related to January's false missile alert (all times local):

1 p.m.

U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, who is leaving her seat in Congress to challenge Hawaii Gov. David Ige (EE'-gay) in the state's gubernatorial race, says she is troubled by her opponent's lack of transparency around January's false missile alert.

Ige's office has denied Associated Press requests to release phone logs, text messages and instant messages related to the missile alert.

Hanabusa calls the denial "disturbing," and says it's "the latest in a troubling series of events that undermines public confidence" in Hawaii's government.

On Monday, the governor's spokeswoman, Cindy McMillian, responded to a request for an AP interview with Ige, saying Ige has "spoken about this incident many times and has nothing further to add."

McMillian says there is "no legal requirement" for the governor's office to keep such records.

Hanabusa is calling for a "transparent accounting of the facts."

8:20 p.m.

Hawaii officials have repeatedly pointed to a low-level state employee and a breakdown in his agency's leadership as the main cause for a January missile alert that left hundreds of thousands of islanders thinking they might die in a nuclear blast. But efforts to find out more about what other top officials did that day have been stymied at the highest levels of state government.

For nearly two months, Gov. David Ige's office has refused to provide information requested by The Associated Press that could show how he and other officials handled the crisis.

Ige's office has declined to release phone logs, text messages, instant messages and calendars related to the missile alert, even as the state moves forward with recommendations to implement a new missile alert system.

News from © The Associated Press, 2018
The Associated Press

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
  • Police search for missing Kelowna woman
    KELOWNA - Kelowna RCMP are asking for the public's help in finding a missing 27-year-old woman. RCMP say Joenna Saunders was last heard from on Nov. 27. She was reported missing on Dec.
  • Girl opens Christmas present she gave to boy when she dumped him in 1971
    ST. ALBERT, Alta. - A man in Edmonton who made international headlines for holding onto a wrapped Christmas gift from a high-school girlfriend who dumped him nearly 50 years ago finally learned wh
  • Water quality advisory in effect in North Okanagan
    NORTH OKANAGAN - The district has issued a water quality advisory for the North Okanagan. The Regional District of North Okanagan Silver Star Water Utility in conjunction with Interior Healt
  • Kamloops Fire Rescue respond to McDonalds deep fryer fire
    KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops McDonalds was temporarily closed last night due to a small deep fryer fire. Kamloops Fire Rescue arrived at the McDonalds location in Sahali at about 11:30 p.m. last ni
  • Vernon fast food restaurant held up by man with syringe
    VERNON - RCMP are on the hunt for a suspect after a robbery at a Vernon restaurant earlier this week. A man threatened staff with an allegedly contaminated needle on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at Wr
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile