Unattended cooking oil causes North Shore house fire

A woman who lives near the affected building took this picture when flames broke out in the 200 block of Royal Avenue Tuesday night, Aug. 15, 2017.
Image Credit: SUBMITTED

KAMLOOPS - A pot of oil left unattended on a stove is to blame for a residential fire on the city's North Shore this week.

Kamloops Fire Rescue fire investigator Kevin Cassidy says he attended the home in the 200 block of Royal Avenue Tuesday night, Aug. 15, after firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Investigators were able to quickly determine the cause of the fire was a pot of cooking oil left on the stove.

The fire started before 8 p.m. Tuesday, and soon after smoke could be seen from the city's south shore. Firefighters attended immediately and were able to knock the blaze down in about 10 minutes.

Two units were damaged during the fire from fire and smoke.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Ashley Legassic or call 250-319-7494 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

GEORGE: Time's up for this old sign of male privilege
When you belong to a Facebook buy and sell group, you are exposed to a lot of interesting things for sale. I recently spotted a plastic toddler urinal that hangs on the wall so that toddlers can practice their aim. I laughed. The very next

Top News