Canadian man killed last August in Syrian conflict: Report - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
2.4°C

Canadian man killed last August in Syrian conflict: Report

This undated image posted on a militant website on Jan. 14, 2014 shows fighters from an al-Qaida linked group marching in Raqqa, Syria. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, militant website
January 16, 2014 - 8:18 PM

TORONTO - A Canadian man was reportedly killed last August while taking part in the conflict in Syria.

According to CBC News, Andre Poulin of Timmins, Ont., had changed his name to Abu Muslim and arrived in Syria in late 2012.

The report says he died during an attack carried out by jihadis on a government-controlled airport in the country's north.

The network says the young man’s body was found and buried by other jihadis and that he left behind a wife and young child in Syria.

Earlier this week, Mustafa al-Gharib, a 22-year-old born in Nova Scotia as Damian Clairmont, reportedly died in heavy fighting in the city of Aleppo.

He was apparently killed by Free Syrian Army forces as fighters opposed to the regime of President Bashar Assad turned on each other in bloody infighting.

During a visit to Washington, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said his officials were aware of the reports of al-Gharib's death, and suggested he may be just one among many Canadians fighting overseas.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2014
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile