Sprinkler system saves golf club’s pro shop - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Light Snowshower
-2.2°C

Sprinkler system saves golf club’s pro shop

A smouldering cigarette butt in a flower pot likely sparked the fire at the Michaelbrook Ranch Golf Club's pro shop on Saturday, June 7, 2014.
Image Credit: Global Okanagan (with permission)
June 09, 2014 - 9:52 AM

DISCARDED CIGARETTE LIKELY CAUSE

KELOWNA – The cause of an early morning fire at the Michaelbrook Ranch Golf Club’s pro shop was likely a cigarette butt smouldering in a flower pot.

Kelowna Fire Rescue was called at about 3:40 a.m. Saturday and when firefighters arrive they found fire burning on the outside of the wood siding, the second floor overhanging deck and through a window into the pro shop.

The sprinkler system kept the fire at bay until firefighter put it completely out.

There is significant smoke and water damage to the pro shop and a strong smell of smoke in the upstairs offices.

"Someone perhaps leaving the pub on site butted a cigarette in the pot. It smouldered away and carried on climbing up the cedar siding," fire investigator Russ Van de Sype told Global Okanagan.

The golf course is open and a restoration company is working to fix the damage.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at aproskiw@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

- This story was updated at 9:11 a.m., Sunday, June 8, 2014 to add the cause of the fire.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments
  • How this Kamloops couple is going zero waste
    KAMLOOPS - The first thing you notice when you walk into Haley Feller and Sam Birmingham's home is that it is so clean. Though their basement suite has no natural light the absence of cl
  • South Okanagan man gets letter from prisoner who shot him and left him for dead
    PENTICTON - When Ronald Teneycke one of the South Okanagan's most notorius prolific offenders, was declared a dangerous offender after months of court proceedings last March,Teneycke's las
  • Kamloops police seeking child and guardian
    KAMLOOPS - A boy and his aunt have not checked in for two days, and now RCMP are requesting the aunt make contact. Kamloops RCMP received a report to check the well being of a six-year-old b
  • Blood moon eclipse visible from southern Interior this weekend
    Residents of the southern B.C. Interior will have a prime seat for the total lunar eclipse this weekend if the weather cooperates. Overnight Sunday, Jan. 20, the full moon will become fully
  • TRENDING NOW: Leaf blower-powered sled
    %%nodefaultimage%% This Russian dad has raised the bar for improvised winter sliding devices. He blew away the competition by strapping a couple leaf blowers to his daughter's sled
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile