Slight chance for slightly white Christmas | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions


Kamloops News

Slight chance for slightly white Christmas

The possibility of a slightly white Christmas is still there with a chance of snow being forecast for much of the Southern Interior today.
December 24, 2014 - 8:14 AM

THOMPSON-OKANAGAN - If you have been dreaming of a white Christmas don’t give up hope just yet: Mother Nature could still come through with the gift of your dreams.

Environment Canada is calling for a chance of flurries tonight in Kamloops, Vernon and Kelowna while Penticton could see rain this afternoon.

Snow could begin in Vernon and Kelowna this morning with the weather office predicting a 40 to 60 per cent chance of flurries this morning and this evening and in Kamloops there is a 40 per cent chance of flurries. In Penticton there is a 30 per cent chance of showers in the afternoon. Currently there is a 60 per cent chance of flurries throughout the entire region for Saturday, along with seasonal normal high temperatures of -1 Celsius.

Temperatures will remain steady in the -2 to 1 Celsius range through the weekend in Kamloops and Vernon though Kelowna and Penticton will reach upwards of 5 C today before dropping to -1 C Friday through Sunday.

Interior highways have been inundated with snow the last couple of days with snowfall accumulations of nearly 20 centimetres at the Coquihalla Summit and at Allison Pass since Sunday. Another 5 cm is expected to fall on highway passes on the Coquihalla Highway from Hope to Merritt, Highway 1 from Eagle Pass to Rogers Pass and Highway 3 from Paulson Summit to Kootenay Pass today.

Highway conditions throughout the region are reported as compact snow with slippery or slushy conditions. Avalanche control will be taking place on Highway 1 in Glacier National Park today as well.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at or call 250-819-3723. To contact an editor, email or call 250-718-2724.

News from © iNFOnews, 2014

  • Popular kelowna News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile