Current Conditions

5.0°C

Regional board puts the brakes on proposal to reduce free yard waste

A plan to limit the amount of yard waste the public could leave at the landfill for free is not going over well with regional district residents.
May 04, 2017 - 9:00 PM

PENTICTON - Regional directors put the brakes on a staff recommendation to reduce the amount of free yard waste residents could drop at the landfill from 500 kilograms to 100 kg.

Area D director Tom Siddon intended to put forward a director’s motion requesting administration provide a rationale for the proposed decrease in free yard waste disposal, but the matter was brought up for discussion at an earlier committee meeting before today's, May 4, regular board meeting.

Several directors reported hearing from their constituents on the the matter. Area C director Terry Schafer said he received a lot of feedback from his area with his constituents talking about having to make five trips to the dump instead of one.

Area B director Elef Christensen said he echoed Schafer’s confers.

“We’re going to have a mess in rural areas,” he said.

Naramata director and board chair Karla Kozakevich said many areas had received complaints about the proposal.

The board agreed to defer implementation of the proposal until an impact analysis had been performed and the results reviewed by the environmental committee.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2017
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile