RCMP conclude sexual assault investigation in North Okanagan, assure residents there is no threat
Charlotte Helston - Reporter
(JOHN MCDONALD / iNFOnews.ca)
October 19, 2016 - 12:07 PM
NORTH OKANAGAN - Police have completed a sexual assault investigation in Coldstream and determined residents of the area have no need to worry.
A woman reported being approached and pushed to the ground by a lone man on Bessette Avenue the evening of Oct. 15, prompting the RCMP to launch a sexual assault investigation.
In an update this morning, Oct. 19, however, Cpl. Dan Moskaluk says they have finished the investigation and determined the sexual assault did not occur, as previously reported by the woman.
“The utmost sensitivity towards the complainant has been maintained and was paramount during this investigation. Given the degree of public interest regarding public safety following a reported alleged attack taking place in a public area, we have a responsibility to update the residents of the Bessette Avenue area and advise them that no current known threats exist,” Cpl. Moskaluk says in a media release.
Charges are not being pursued against the woman, and no further information is being released in order to protect her identity, Moskaluk says.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Charlotte Helston or call 250-309-5230 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016