Current Conditions


Open burning season begins in the Central Okanagan

Image Credit: Shutterstock
October 02, 2015 - 9:32 AM

Open burning season in the Central Okanagan got underway Thursday, Oct. 1.

In order to reduce the impact on our air shed, open burning is restricted to those property owners that are eligible and have a permit from their local fire authority and only when air quality and venting conditions are appropriate. 

Under Regional District and local fire bylaws when the fire hazard allows, permitted open burning may start Oct. 1 and must be complete on April 30. Fire chiefs may change the dates depending on the fire hazard in their area.

Eligible property owners must obtain a permit from their local fire department.* Those eligible to burn within the four Central Okanagan East or Central Okanagan West electoral area fire districts may obtain a permit by calling the Regional District at 250-469-6223 (Long Distance Collect Calls are accepted) weekdays only between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, excluding holidays.

Before lighting any fire, property owners with a valid permit must call the toll-free Outdoor Burning Hotline: 1-855-262-2876 (BURN). It will tell them if open burning is allowed on a particular day. Both the Venting and Air Quality conditions must be good in order for burning to occur within Central Okanagan fire jurisdictions. This information will also be available each day after 8:00 am at

Under the Regional District Smoke Control Bylaw, creating nuisance smoke from open burning is not allowed in the City of Kelowna, the District of Lake Country, City of West Kelowna and the Central Okanagan East and West Electoral Areas or under the bylaws of the District of Peachland. Yard waste such as leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, weeds and other garden waste are not allowed to be burned.

Violators could receive a fine or be charged with the cost of putting out the fire. Residents are encouraged to report anyone illegally burning on a non-burning day by calling the Regional Fire Dispatch Center at 250-469-8577.

Those property owners eligible to burn should follow this Best Practices Guide to reduce smoke:

- If conditions allow open burning, ignite fires after 10:00 am when venting conditions are usually more favourable;
- Only burn dry pruning’s and branches and stumps and branches dried for a minimum of two years;
- Make smaller piles with good air ventilation for more efficient burning.

All Central Okanagan property owners regardless of property size may use other options to dispose of their yard waste. The bi-weekly curbside yard waste collection program is underway through the end of November and residents are reminded to only place leaves, grass, pine needles and small pruning’s inside their wheeled yard waste cart with the green lid closed.  Residents may also use the year-round free yard waste drop off program at either the Glenmore landfill (Open seven days a week 7:30 am to 4:45 pm) or at the Westside Residential Waste Disposal Centre (Open 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Friday through Monday).  Yard waste and pruning’s weighing up to 250 kilograms (550 pounds) and 20 centimeters or less in diameter may be dropped off for free at either location.  When transporting loads for disposal, please make sure they are covered.  As long as yard waste is separated from regular garbage, loads exceeding the maximum weight up to 20 centimeters in diameter will be charged $40.00 per tonne while those with a larger diameter will be charged $65 a tonne.  As well, a number of private companies offer wood chipping and grinding services or rent portable chippers.  Some may also pick up yard waste for disposal.

Agricultural burning is allowed under Provincial Right to Farm legislation and accounts for most of the burning permits issued in the Central Okanagan. However, before starting any fire farmers must also call 1-855-262-2876 (BURN) or visit to ensure burning can take place on a particular day. The Regional Air Quality Program is working in cooperation with farmers to encourage the use of the Agricultural Chipping Program as an alternate disposal method. In addition, the program offers a Best Management Practices handbook and DVD to help farmers.

Central Okanagan residents are reminded to check with their local fire jurisdiction regarding regulations and restrictions regarding campfires, chimineas and other outdoor wood fire burning devices.

* Fire Department Jurisdictions for Permits

Central Okanagan East or Central Okanagan West Electoral Areas 
(Residents of Ellison, Joe Rich, Wilson’s Landing, North Westside fire departments):

Call the Regional District (250-469-6223 weekdays only 8:00 am – 4:00 pm excluding holidays)
Note: North Westside residents may call ‘Collect’ or avoid long distance charges by using a cellular phone. They may also contact North Westside Fire/Rescue at 250-545-1195 to obtain a permit.

City of Kelowna residents contact - Kelowna Fire Department - 250-469-8801

District of Lake Country residents contact - Lake Country Fire Department - 250-766-2327

District of Peachland residents contact - Peachland Fire Rescue Service - 250-767-2841
Weekdays only 8:00 am – 4:00 pm excluding holidays

City of West Kelowna residents contact – West Kelowna Fire/Rescue - 778-797-3200

All West Kelowna municipal burning permits are issued from Lakeview Station 32, 2708 Olalla Road

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile