The Latest: Suspect in 4 Nevada killings to be tried in Reno - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
-3.1°C

The Latest: Suspect in 4 Nevada killings to be tried in Reno

February 08, 2019 - 11:49 AM

CARSON CITY, Nev. - The Latest on a 20-year-old Salvadoran immigrant accused of murdering four people in Nevada last month (all times local):

10:20 a.m.

A 20-year-old Salvadoran immigrant accused of murdering four people in Nevada last month will be tried on four murder counts in Reno before he faces burglary charges in Carson City.

Wilber Martinez-Guzman waived his right Friday to a speedy preliminary hearing in Carson City Justice Court on the burglary charges related to items he allegedly stole from some of the victims.

Prosecutors in both counties said family of the victims preferred the more serious charges be addressed first in district court in Reno.

Carson City prosecutor Melanie Brantingham says she expects Martinez-Guzman to be extradited early next week to the Washoe County Jail in Reno where he will be held without bail.

His public defender agreed to postpone the preliminary hearing that was scheduled Friday on multiple counts of burglary, possession of stolen property and obtaining money under false pretenses.

___

8 a.m.

A 20-year-old Salvadoran accused of killing four people in Nevada last month is going before a justice of the peace who will consider whether he should be tried initially on burglary charges related to items he is accused of stealing from the victims.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled in Carson City Justice Court Friday to determine whether there's enough evidence so Wilber Martinez-Guzman can be ordered to stand trial for burglary, possession of stolen property and obtaining money by false pretenses.

The stolen property includes jewelry and a .22-calibre revolver that prosecutors say Martinez-Guzman told investigators he stole from a Reno couple less than two weeks before he fatally shot them with it at their home on Jan. 16.

Prosecutors have said those victims, 81-year-old Gerald David and 80-year-old Sharon David, employed him as a landscaper at their Reno property last summer.

Federal immigration officials say Martinez-Guzman entered the United States illegally but they haven's disclosed when or where.

News from © The Associated Press, 2019
The Associated Press

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile