Longtime Minnesota radio personality Erickson dies at 89 - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy

Longtime Minnesota radio personality Erickson dies at 89

In this Jan. 7, 1998 photo, Roger Erickson, right, a longtime Minneapolis radio personality at WCCO Radio, poses with his partner Charlie Boone. Erickson's daughter, Tracy Anderson, said he died of natural causes at his home in Plymouth on Monday, Oct. 30, 2017. He was 89. (Jeff Wheeler/Star Tribune via AP)
October 31, 2017 - 9:00 AM

MINNEAPOLIS - Radio personality Roger Erickson, who ruled Minnesota's morning airwaves along with on-air WCCO partner Charlie Boone for 38 years, has died. He was 89.

His daughter, Tracy Anderson, said Tuesday that he died of natural causes at his home in Plymouth on Monday. He had been suffering from dementia for around 10 years, she said.

The folky "Boone and Erickson" show, with its mix of humour and news and its signature "Good Morning" song, recalled an earlier era of radio for many listeners. In the show's prime, half of the people listening to the radio in the greater Twin Cities area on any given morning were tuned in to the show.

Boone and Erickson did their last show together in January 1998. Boone died in 2015 at age 88. Their signature skit was the recurring "Minnesota Hospital," a takeoff on an old radio soap opera.

"It was an amazing time in radio," said Anderson, who recalled hanging around the station when she was a girl. "It was incredible to see an entire staff working together like that. It wasn't just him. He was just like an engine of the whole train."

Erickson, who grew up in the southern Minnesota town of Winthrop, also endeared himself to generations of Minnesota schoolchildren by delivering school closing announcements on snowy mornings in his deep baritone voice.

"He said the epitaph on his tombstone would be 'Roger Erickson, two hours late, now closed,'" Anderson said.

Erickson was one of the original inductees into the Minnesota Broadcasting Hall of Fame in 2001.

Besides his wife, Margaret, he is survived by Anderson; her husband, Scott; and two grandchildren. A son, Steve, died in 2008.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

News from © The Associated Press, 2017
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile