Minor house fire leaves residents and pets temporarily homeless

KELOWNA – A fire sparked by a baseboard heater this morning has left a Kelowna father and son homeless for a few days.

Kelowna firefighters were called to a report of smoke at house on Lawson Avenue at about 8:58 a.m., June 11, according to a media release.

The smoke was coming from behind an electric baseboard heater. Crews put out a small fire in the wall.

“The resident and his son along with some pets are in care of Emergency Support Services for the next 72 hours as the power to his home has been cut off until the BC Safety Authority can investigate the electrical system in the house,” Platoon Capt. Tim Light says in a media release.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Howard Alexander or call 250-491-0331 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


chris-george
GEORGE: Time's up for this old sign of male privilege
When you belong to a Facebook buy and sell group, you are exposed to a lot of interesting things for sale. I recently spotted a plastic toddler urinal that hangs on the wall so that toddlers can practice their aim. I laughed. The very next

Top News