Midnight duplex fire forces two Kelowna families from their homes

Image Credit: iStockphoto.com

KELOWNA – Two families were forced from their homes in Kelowna this morning after an unattended candle started a fire.

Kelowna Fire Department Platoon Capt. Kelly Stephens says crews arrived at the 1300 block of Bernard Avenue shortly after midnight, Feb. 13 to find five-metre flames coming from the rear second floor of the duplex.

“Fire crews battled the flames from the exterior to quickly contain and knock down the fire and a second hose line inside to knock down hot spots,” Stephens says in a media release. “Unfortunately, extensive fire damage did extend... to the interior second floor of the home and into the roof/attic space.”

Nine adults lived in the duplex with one infant, a dog and a cat. One man was taken to Kelowna General Hospital with minor smoke inhalation and all remain in the care of Emergency Social Services.

“The cause of the fire was from an unattended candle,” Stephens says.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


letters-to-the-editor
ALBAS: For the general advantage of Canada
  OPINION Back in June of this year the National Energy Board reported that crude oil-by-rail exports from Canada set a new record of 204,558 barrels per day. Industry analysts predict that by the end of this year

Top News