Second victim of Sao Paulo building collapse identified - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Sunny
27.4°C

Second victim of Sao Paulo building collapse identified

In this May 3, 2018 photo, displaced occupants of a collapsed building, get food provided by volunteers as they gather outside a nearby church in downtown Sao Paulo, Brazil. The people had spent the night camped out on a plaza in front of the nearby church along with several of other newly homeless families.(AP Photo/Andre Penner)
May 11, 2018 - 1:19 PM

SAO PAULO - The Sao Paulo Public Security Department says a second victim has been identified among remains recovered from the rubble of a downtown building that caught fire and collapsed last week.

The remains of 56-year-old Francisco Lemos Dantas were among those found earlier this week. The body of a man who died only seconds before firefighters could rescue him had previously been identified.

The department said Friday that leaves six people missing who are believed to have been in the building when it collapsed.

The medical examiner's office is still analyzing other remains.

Firefighters also recovered more remains Friday. It was not immediately clear if they were human.

Squatters were occupying the building that caught fire, and its collapse has focused attention on the housing shortage in Brazil's largest city.

News from © The Associated Press, 2018
The Associated Press

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile