The Latest: Argentina says noise wasn't from missing sub - InfoNews

Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
0.7°C

The Latest: Argentina says noise wasn't from missing sub

November 20, 2017 - 3:58 PM

MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina - The latest on a lost Argentine submarine that has 44 crew members on board (all times local):

8:55 p.m.

Argentina's navy says a noise detected in an undersea area on Monday did not come from a submarine that has been missing since last week with 44 sailors on board.

Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi says the "noise" was analyzed and experts determined it did not come from tools being banged against the hull of a submarine as was previously reported by some media. He says it likely came from a "biological" source.

The noise was heard in the South Atlantic about 220 miles (360 kilometres) from the Argentine coast and at a depth of about 650 feet (200 metres).

___

5:50 p.m.

Argentina's navy says it's analyzing a noise that might have come from a missing submarine with 44 crew members on board.

Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi says Monday that a U.S. aircraft was sent to check an area where the noise was heard by two Argentine Navy ships.

The noise was heard in the South Atlantic about 220 miles (360 kilometres) from the Argentine coast and at a depth of about 650 feet (200 metres).

Another official said earlier that the submarine reported a battery failure and was returning to base when it went missing Wednesday and lost contact with authorities.

The sub was journeying from the extreme southern port of Ushuaia to the coastal city of Mar del Plata.

News from © The Associated Press, 2017
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile