Police file new charges against youth accused of terror-related offenses - InfoNews

Current Conditions

14.9°C

Police file new charges against youth accused of terror-related offenses

Supt. Peter Lambertucci, left, Officer in Charge INSET Ottawa, RCMP "O" Division, answers questions from reporters as Chief Supt. Michael LeSage, Criminal Operations Officer looks on, during a press conference, after RCMP charged a youth with terrorism, in Kingston, Ont. on January 25, 2019. A youth charged with terrorism-related offences appeared in a Kingston, Ont., courtroom Friday for the second part of a two-day bail hearing. The youth, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was mostly expressionless while the court went through the proceedings. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
March 29, 2019 - 2:12 PM

OTTAWA - A youth is facing new charges in connection with a terrorism investigation in Kingston, Ont.

The charges were read in provincial court Friday as the youth appeared at a bail hearing.

The suspect, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was earlier charged with knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity, and counselling another person to "deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive or other lethal device" in a public place.

He now also faces charges of "making, or having in his possession or under his care of control an explosive substance" designed to endanger life "or cause serious damage to property."

The youth is also accused of "doing anything with intent" to cause harm or death using an explosive subtance.

While the reasons for the charges were outlined in court, none of the evidence, submissions and reasons presented during the hearing can be revealed under the terms of a strict publication ban.

The youth was mostly expressionless throughout the day while the proceedings transpired.

For much of the morning he sat with his head bowed, but looked up and even smiled occasionally as he listened with the aid of simultaneous translation.

The youth, clad in a purple jacket, was charged after a Canadian police investigation sparked by a tip from the FBI.

The bail proceedings were initially scheduled to last two days but were extended Friday for a third day, with the hearing expected to wrap up Monday.

Defense lawyer Simon Borys said a decision on whether the youth will be granted bail would likely not be rendered until a later date.

The youth last appeared in court March 12.

Police have said no specific target had been established before the suspect was arrested in late January.

A 20-year-old man was also taken into custody at that time, but was released within hours.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2019
The Canadian Press

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile