Police: Unattended toddler caused apartment fire in Florida

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - Police say a Florida mother was miles away from her home when her 3-year-old child started an apartment fire while using a microwave.

The News Herald reports that management at a Panama City apartment complex saw a trail of smoke coming from a unit Tuesday. Inside, they found two children — ages 1 and 3 — who were unattended.

A police report says the 3-year-old overcooked some food in the microwave, causing the small fire, which filled the apartment with smoke. The report says the children had been left without adequate food.

Neither child was injured.

Police found their mother, Dionzia Johnson, some 3 miles (5 kilometres) away. She's been charged with two felony counts of child neglect. Johnson says her car had broken down and she couldn't get back to her children.


Mom's who have lost kids to overdose have been mailing photos to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as part of a new project called Somebody's Someone.
Trudeau getting hundreds of photos from Interior moms whose children died from overdoses
Hundreds of black-bordered envelopes adorned with purple hearts were sent to the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week from moms hurt by overdose deaths. Inside the envelopes are photos of family members who have died since the start of t

Top News