Family of four escapes Glenrosa basement fire with their pet

A fire started in a downstairs electrical panel box of a home on McGinnis Road in West Kelowna the afternoon of Friday, June 24.

KELOWNA - An electrical fire in the basement of a single-family home in Glenrosa today has left a family of four temporarily homeless.

The fire started in a downstairs electrical panel box of a home on McGinnis Road in West Kelowna this afternoon, June 24.

Assistant fire chief Brent Watson says firefighters extinguished one fire and then using thermal imaging equipment, found several more hot spots in the walls.

“Power to the home had to be cut off before WKFR could breach the walls and access several hot spots, which were quickly extinguished,” he says. "The fire remains under investigation at this time, but it does not appear to be suspicious and may have been electrical in nature.”

All four members of the household and one pet were able to escape safely and are in the care of Emergency Support Services.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


don-thompson
THOMPSON: Put New Orleans on your bucket list
  OPINION One of my favourite cities in the world is New Orleans. I never really lived there…but over the past 48 years - since I was 19 - I’ve probably been to the Big Easy more than 100 times. Some of the

Top News