Prosecutor: Failed Paris bombing could have been devastating | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Mainly Clear
14.3°C

Prosecutor: Failed Paris bombing could have been devastating

October 06, 2017 - 10:32 AM

PARIS - France's anti-terrorism prosecutor says three men are facing charges in an elaborate, failed bombing in a high-end Paris neighbourhood that could have been "devastating."

Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins told reporters that two of the suspects had been under surveillance for ties to radical Islam. He said the three are meeting Friday with investigating judges expected to file preliminary terrorism charges.

Molins said the three have denied involvement and refused to answer investigators. Three others held in the investigation were released Friday for lack of evidence.

Alerted by a resident, authorities found canisters, buckets of gasoline and a detonation device connected to a telephone in a building in Paris' 16th arrondissement, or district, Saturday.

It's unclear why the explosive didn't detonate. Molins said investigators don't know why the building was targeted.

News from © The Associated Press, 2017
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile