Current Conditions

Partly Cloudy
6.2°C

Bodies of 26 migrants arrive in Italy as rescues intensify

November 05, 2017 - 9:23 AM

MILAN - The bodies of 26 female migrants who apparently drowned have arrived at the Italian port of Salerno as rescues intensify on the Mediterranean Sea, the U.N. refugee agency said.

The bodies were transferred to the Italian mainland aboard a Spanish naval ship carrying another 400 migrants rescued during four operations in the central Mediterranean.

Twenty-three of the dead women were on a rubber dinghy that sank off Libya two days ago, Marco Rotunno, a spokesman in Italy for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees spokesman, said. Another 60 people were pulled to safety, but more may have perished at sea, Rotunno said.

The other three women died in a separate shipwreck.

Humanitarian groups say some 2,500 migrants were picked up at sea over the last four or five days, making it the most intense period for rescues on the Mediterranean since Italy reached a deal with Libya this summer to slow departures of smugglers' boats carrying migrants. In the same short and recent period, 37 bodies have been recovered, the Italian news agency ANSA said.

The number of migrants arriving in Italy so far this year is 30 per cent lower than last year, 111,716 through Friday compared to nearly 160,000 in the same period of 2016, according to Interior Ministry figures.

The U.N.'s International Organization for Migration put the number of dead in the centre Mediterranean route from Libya to Italy at over 2,600 through Nov. 1.

News from © The Associated Press, 2017
The Associated Press

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile