Fraud trial for ex-deputy Quebec premier Nathalie Normandeau set for next April

Former Quebec deputy premier Nathalie Normandeau walks to a courtroom for her civil case against her former employer Cogeco, in Quebec City on June 9, 2016. Normandeau, 49, is charged with conspiracy, corruption, breach of trust and fraud in a scheme in which political financing and gifts were allegedly exchanged for lucrative government contracts between 2000 and 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

QUEBEC - The fraud-related trial for ex-deputy Quebec premier Nathalie Normandeau and five co-accused has been set for next spring.

Quebec court Judge Jean-Louis Lemay announced the date of April 9 at a preparatory hearing in Quebec City on Monday.

Normandeau, 49, is charged with conspiracy, corruption, breach of trust and fraud in a scheme in which political financing and gifts were allegedly exchanged for lucrative government contracts between 2000 and 2012.

The Crown said earlier the trial could last at least four months.

Normandeau served as a Liberal member of the legislature for a riding on the Gaspe peninsula from 1998 to 2011 and held key cabinet positions as well as being deputy premier from 2007 to 2011.

She and her co-accused were arrested in March 2016.

Normandeau's lawyer said earlier this year the former cabinet minister maintains her innocence.


don-thompson
THOMPSON: Facts, not opinions, will bring Trump presidency to an end
  OPINION We’ve all seen it…or experienced it when we were little kids. The times you’re caught red handed…obviously guilty of something…and then you tell an obvious lie to try and cover

Top News