Glee actor Monteith died of heroin, alcohol mix: coroner | iNFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan's News Source

Current Conditions

Snow Grains
6.1°C

Glee actor Monteith died of heroin, alcohol mix: coroner

Actor Cory Monteith attends the 2012 Do Something awards in Santa Monica, Calif., in a Aug. 19, 2012 file photo. The BC Coroners Service has determined Monteithdied accidentally of a mixed drug overdose that involved intravenous heroin and alcohol. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File
October 02, 2013 - 2:28 PM

VANCOUVER - The BC Coroners Service has determined "Glee" actor Cory Monteith's died accidentally of a mixed drug overdose that involved intravenous heroin and alcohol.

Monteith was found dead in his room at the luxury Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver on July 13.

The coroners' office says investigators found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, as well as two empty champagne bottles and glasses in the room.

Monteith had checked in several days earlier and was expected to check out on the day he died, but when he hadn't done so, hotel staff went to check on him and found him on the floor.

The coroners' office says the 31-year-old had a history of illicit drug use peppered with periods of rehabilitation and abstinence, something Monteith himself openly admitted.

It says when people who have refrained from using opioids such as heroin for a while, their tolerance for the drug decreases.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2013
The Canadian Press

  • Popular penticton News
View Site in: Desktop | Mobile